Saturday 21 May 2011

Beer Belly Bream, Twyford Pond

About six years ago I fished Twyford puddle and landed a couple of stunning Crucian Carp. I did not weigh them at the time and I have not caught one at any other time so they were personal bests but for some reason I did not take them seriously. Well, now I am. They count towards the challenge score board and also I want to add them to my pb list. Just got to catch one now. Probably easier said than done.
I arrived at Twyford early and had the pond to myself. I fished the same peg and tactics as my last Crucian success session and second cast I lost a fish to a hook pull. The wind then started to pick up and is exaggerated at Twyford due to it's elevated position which made the fishing difficult.
A few missed bites (could they be Crucian?) and finally I landed a fish, a small Bream. I followed this up with three other Bream to a biggest 4lb 9oz. A strange example of the species with it's distended belly, short tail and funny smell!
A change of bait and swim fishing close in under a bush using mashed bread and bread flake. This had been recommended by the local tackle shop owner and it got me out of the wind but still no Crucians. I tried this for a couple hours and went back to the other peg. An hour later I got into a bit of a tangle and decided enough was enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment