Monday 27 July 2015

Three Session Catch-up


Friday I managed to get two sessions in, one in the morning on my own and one in the evening spent in the company of Jeff and Martin. Both times it rained and both times I was after Barbel but I only managed one of about seven pounds, however I did land a lot of Chub.

Pellets were the bait of choice and whilst Barbel love them they are not discerning when it comes to Chub, a hazard of the game I suppose. I don't have a major problem with catching Chub, in fact I quite enjoy it but when heavy Barbel gear is employed the fun is definitely lessened.


Rain and cameras are not good bedfellows hence the quality of the photos might not be quite up to scratch but the cygnets below did make pretty subjects.


The rain held off tonight as I once again popped down to the Avon for a bonus session. There was a kind of change of tactics too as I felt like fishing for bites and a bit of fun rather than going all out for just one species. So with that in mind I popped into the tackle shop for a pint of maggots and some hemp. They were deployed on one rod but I still fished pellets on a 'sleeper' rod.


Several small Roach, Bream, and a couple of bonus Silver Bream came my way before as the light faded the sleeper rod suddenly burst into life. An interesting fight ensued that didn't have the all out pace of a Barbel or the short dogged bursts of a Chub but I was still surprised when my unseen adversary turned out to be a river Tench. Not a massive one and really I should have guessed it might be a Tinca as the swim does have previous form but a stunningly coloured example weighing 3lb 4oz.


4 comments:

  1. Nice one, Joe. River tench are a proper prize! Only caught the one myself and really did think it was a barbel till I got the sticky bugger up in the water. A male, of course. Probably going to Stratford weekend coming where there's a certain area that I know has tench form. An hour or two spent there before I hit the (hopefully) two pound roach spot, and into evening, the double figure barbel swim seems like a good plan!

    Fishing for bites paid off for you. Silver bream are there, but rare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have a plan jeff makes it sweeter when it comes off!! You may be aiming quite high though!

      Delete
  2. A river tench anywhere is rare and I cant believe the size of its paintbrush!, bloody enormous. It almost doesn't belong to that fish, well done on the other backup fish too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James think the tench was an old fish on its way out, looks like it was much bigger in its youth hence the oversize tail?

      Delete